Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Furst...


Is the wurst.......
Eh? Eh? Yeah no, I know. This wine would not go well with sausage (at least I don’t think so), but it did pair surprisingly well with 4-cheese Cheez-Its. I wonder if I could start adding how the wine pairs with Cheez-Its in my cellar tracker tasting notes.....


Tonight’s tasting was of my current “pet grape” pinot blanc. What is pinot blanc? A mutant cousin of pinot noir! I’ll cover that in another post. 
I tried pinot blanc for the first time this past May when I traveled to Sonoma for the boyfriend’s sister’s wedding. I remember really liking it and since I had never even heard of it before, I chose it to be the first “pet grape” that I drink a lot of over the course of a few months.
So back to tonight and this crazy looking motherfucker on the bottle. This is a 2013 The Furst... Pinot Blanc that I found at Binny’s for $15. Furst of all..., (ha ha ha) this looks like it’s going to be a good time, I mean look at this guy. It comes from the Kayserberg in the Alsace Controlee appellation in France. And is produced by a Cave. Whoa....what...oh, I guess a cave is a group of small growers that pool their grapes to produce a wine.
Kayserberg
So back to the wine:
It was a nice pale straw color
(NOPE - according to the internet, it is a pale gold!)
I smelled it....it smelled like fruit and flowers
(GOT THAT RIGHT! well....50% the fruit is pear!)
I tasted it....I furst (ha ha ha) got lots of fruit, I could taste the pear this time and then good amount of acid, but a short finish. 
(Nailed the acidity!) 
So of the four tasting points mentioned on the importer’s website, I got two. :(


He’s judging me with those googly eyes!
Would I buy again? No....unless I was having a Cheeze-It party and needed a wine. Cause damn that was amazing! 
Score: 83 The Furst....wasn’t the wurst, but not the best.

1 comment:

  1. Pinot Blanc generally pairs nicely with a variety of cheeses, hence the success with the 4-cheese Cheeze-Its. Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete